Obedience, Socialization, Communication and Much More
Where: See Spot Sit Dog & Human Training, Boarding & Behavior Modification, 14717 Hwy. 107, Jacksonville, AR.
When: Saturday mornings from 11:00 to 12:00 and Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 7:30.
Come to one or both or mix and and match!
Classes run concurrently so you can start as soon you’re ready!
This class is best suited for well socialized, stable dogs whose owners would like to build a healthy relationship with their dog(s), based on respect, trust, love and communication. These things lead to the well-mannered behavior we all want our dog to maintain whether at home or in public. All of the skills needed to pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen test are taught as well and the test will be given at the end of your course. Once your dog passes, he will earn the Canine Good Citizen certification and title that will make you both feel proud. This class is not suited for dogs who suffer from serious fear issues with other dogs or humans.
What You and Your Dog Will Learn…
- All skills necessary to take the AKC Canine Good Citizen test;
- See Spot Sit’s hand signals that are synonymous with the verbal commands taught;
- How to teach your dog to focus on you even with distractions;
- Basic obedience, including sit, down, stay, coming when called;
- “Leave it”;
- Drop it;
- Sitting politely for petting;
- Greeting another dog;
- Greeting a friendly stranger;
- Handling and grooming;
- Proper leash walking;
- Intro to off-leash walking;
- Proper reaction to distraction;
- How to deal with supervised separation;
- And much more!
Humans Only classes are the 3rd Thursday and Saturday of each month. These are informative and mandatory.
Helpful Information You’ll Learn:
- House training instructions and assistance, if needed
- Explanation and advice for other issues, including but not limited to separation anxiety, isolation distress, etc. Discussed at humans only classes;
- Health benefits of spay and neuter;
- Breed traits of your dog vs. its personality (how to really know and understand your dog);
- Introduction to therapy dog certification – if needed/interested;
- Bite inhibition (or “soft mouth”) if needed;
- No jumping up on humans (if needed.
During the course we will address other common issues that interfere with creating a happy and safe environment for your dog and relieving any pet stress you may be experiencing.
Additional “Stuff” You Need to Know:
- Don’t Feed Breakfast Before Class: Be sure not to feed your dog breakfast before morning class or the dinner meal if you are coming to an evening class as they will not be food-motivated if they aren’t hungry.
- Practice Every Day: The success of this course largely depends on you1 If you want your dog to be solid in everything we teach, you will need to do 3-5 short (10-15 minute) sessions every, single day!
- Puppies’ Shots:Puppies must be 10 days out from their second set of shots. To be safe, check with your vet!
- The Right Fit? If your dog’s needs cannot be met by the training included in the 2 month package (i.e. shows aggressive reactivity toward other dogs or humans or class setting is not beneficial to your do, we will discuss your options with you and offer you all of the assistance and resources we can in order to help your dog overcome the issue(s).
What to Bring:
- POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND WILLINGNESS TO WORK AND LEARN!
- Leash: 4 – 6 foot leash, NOT a retractable Flexi. If you are using a harness, it must have a front clipping D-ring, i.e. the “Easy Walk” or “Walk Right” harnesses.
- Treats: small – grain free. Some people like to use chopped turkey hot dogs. (Treat alternatives: unseasoned boiled or dehydrated chicken, SMALL, preferably grain free training treats. Tip: The treats should be extremely aromatic so your dog is enticed by them. Salmon, lamb, duck and rabbit are certainly favorites around here.
- Collar: properly fitted, two fingers should slide but fit snugly underneath the collar. If the collar is too loose, your dog could back out of it, while on leash, and escape. Preferable training collars – Starmark collar (available online or at Hollywood Feed), Walk Right harness or Easy Walk harness (available online or at Hollywood Feed)
- Treat Bag: optional, but will make things much easier for you!
SIGN UP HERE!